Sunday, April 7, 2013

First Reflection Blog for Psych 200

I decided to do my reflection blog on some of the topics brought up in the article "The Identity Dance". I really enjoyed reading this article because, to me, the whole "Nature Vs. Nurture" concept is one that definitely piqued my curiosity.

Quick review of some of the information:
  • Nature- Genetic or hereditary influences
  • Nurture- Life experiences or influences from the surrounding environment.
Both of these are said to impact how a person gets their distinct personality, and what kind of person they will become.

I found it interesting to read specifically about how it takes a combination of genes (specifically the short version of the serotonin transporter gene) and life turmoil's, or being raised differently, to cause a disadvantage in how you might handle, or react, to specific events.

My favorite example of the Nature Vs. Nurture concept was George, the monkey. He was separated from his mother very early on and was raised in a nursery with other monkeys his age. He also had a short version of the serotonin transporter gene. Because of those combined, he is more susceptible to being aggressive, alcoholism, and being a little more "standoffish" around new people and objects. His cousin, Jim, on the other hand, was raised by his mother and doesn't display those same attributes.

When I was in grade school (probably 2nd or 3rd grade), I had 2 twin girls in my class with me. My teacher called them "Thing One" and "Thing Two" (awful, I know). You could definitely tell which one would have been the "George" in that situation, and which one the "Jim". One was more outgoing, friendly, would share, laughed, played, and was just super excitable. The other, not so much. She would throw tantrums.... A LOT, liked to distance herself, and would get upset very easily. After reading this article, it definitely made me wonder what exactly were the underlying issues, or differences between these girls who seemed so identical in every way.

I think if I could choose to learn more on a topic from this reading, it would be something along the lines of how peoples upbringing relates to aggression. They discussed a little about how having low monoamine oxidase in the brain, combined with being neglected or abused as a child, would contribute to being aggressive or being a part of violent behaviors as adults. I guess I would just like to study, or research what kind of neglect or abuse would constitute this type of lifestyle for an adult.

All and all, I really found this article and the whole chapter one from the book entertaining, educational, and fun.

Thanks for reading!

-Keisha

5 comments:

  1. Hi Keisha,

    I find the whole Nature-Nurture theory interesting as well. I know someone who did not receive a lot of nurturing growing up, (he's in his thirties now) his mother had seven different children by seven different men. His dad was not around to raise him and he had all these different men in and out of his life all the time. He doesn't have the social skills that most people acquire to interact with others. Sometimes he won't even acknowledge you if you're in the room and goes about his business. Anyway, he was in and out of trouble a lot when he was growing up and into his twenties. He actually ended-up going to prison for six years. I have to say, at this point, he is at least trying to make something of his life and become a better person, not to mention, he has five kids that he wants to raise much better than he was raised. So, in this case, I really do think his upbringing (lack of nurture) definitely did impact his development as a human being.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find that entire topic extremely interesting because I am constantly questioning myself. The whole Nature vs Nurture can be so different for everyone. One child can grow up in an environment that is holistic and embracing of that child's needs, both emotional and intellectual and be a functional human being. Another child can grow up in the same environment and be totally messed up. I always wonder if I did things differently how my children would have turned out. They are eighteen and twenty-one now, one is very independent, the other needs a little encouragement. When I look at the big picture I feel like I have raised two independent individuals who can cope for themselves and be productive people. On the other hand, I see the opposite in some situations. A person can grow up in the "perfect" family and not be able to function in society and a child can grow up in a completely dysfunctional setting and be successful as an adult, In general, I think some people are just born survivor]s and other's are not able to cope.

      Marci

      Delete
  2. Hopefully, the science of human development starts with the assumption that each individual is an individual. The twin girls you knew in grade school prove that - they have the same nature, but they are not the same person.

    As the article points out, the availability of easy genetic testing in the 90s pushed the thinking all the way towards "Nature" - suddenly everything could be explained by genes. But your classmates had identical genes, and were as different as sisters could be. I appreciate where the thinking is at now: that it is inevitably both Nature and Nurture that determine a person's development.

    - Ben

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed reading your blog. and looking you at Kim's post on your blog. To me, sometimes its not the upbringing of a person that affect how a person may act. For instance, i have a friend i went to school with, his brother and himself were both raised by both their parents, and they turned out completely different. For instance, my friend, graduated high school with honors, has been doing community service and working in the military. While his brother, dropped out of high school, is continually getting in trouble with the law, is in and out of jail, and almost always either intoxicated or using drugs. Its odd how 2 people can be raised by the same people, the same way, and they turn out completely different.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad that we all found this chapter, and article, interesting. And thanks so much for the feedback! I feel like I can relate to a lot of the things you guys have told me. As a parent myself, I feel like the questions "What if..." will always linger, but you just have to know that you've done all you can and raise your children to be the best they can be. It's amazing to me that 2 people from the same family, or even sharing identical genes, can be two completely different people, almost like night and day. Again, thanks for the feedback :) Definitely gave me more food for thought on this whole subject.

    ReplyDelete